[dns-operations] New root AXFR service?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Aug 2 23:49:45 UTC 2007

Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> It should come as no surprise that I think this is a great idea.

i have since reconsidered.  the session descriptor logic in RFC 1035 makes
TCP/53 a very fragile service, suitable for DNS QUERY from unpredictable
parties or for DNS AXFR from predictable parties but not for DNS AXFR from
unpredictable parties.

> Do you actually need David to make a formal request? Or is this
> something you would consider doing if enough community members said
> that it sounds like a good idea? (And no, the irony of that question
> coming from me is not lost.)

i think that in the best of all possible worlds, somebody would write an RFC
and IANA would solicit volunteers and ISC would certainly be a volunteer.  but
the RFC would either have to specify that the descriptor pool for AXFR-only
is "don't drop old sessions unless they time out, even if it means ignoring
new TCP SYNs", or it would specify RSYNC or some other protocol for transport.