[dns-operations] Dynamically updated root hints (was Re: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone)

Matt Larson mlarson at verisign.com
Thu Aug 2 17:39:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:
> clearly this isn't BIND specific, any full resolver that had
> persistent malleable config storage could do this.

The Microsoft DNS Server overwrites the on-disk hints file with the
results of a successful priming query (or, at least, it used to the
last version I checked).  As long as you take some obvious
precautions, this sounds like a great idea to me.  (I like your idea
of requiring the same response multiple times before committing it to
disk.)  The server could also clearly rename the previous file as a
backup (and perhaps even keep two or three previous files), just so
the change wasn't completely irreversible.

Here's my vote to put this feature in BIND!

Matt