[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 1 19:23:14 UTC 2007

	I actually like the idea of every interative resolver having
	a copy of the root zone.  I've said this for many years to
	Paul.  It addresses a whole classes of problems which really
	cannot be addressed any other way.

	At times I've proposed that every ISP copy from the roots
	and every end user site/organizati copy from their ISP.
	Internally a site/organization would designate one or two
	server from which the others would transfer the zone.  This
	would spread the load.

	If you care about information leaks via the DNS you really
	do want your own copy of the root zone.

	If you want your site to run well when the external link
	is down you want your own copy of the root zone.  It's the
	major typo catcher.

	The real question is how to do the distribution, not whether
	it is a good idea or not.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC