[dns-operations] Everyone as root server ? Was: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Aug 1 15:23:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:39:17PM +0000,
 Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote
 a message of 9 lines which said:

> > I am confused because it seems the current setup is a "refresh" of
> > 1800 seconds and a "retry" of 900 seconds? (Both very low values
> > for a zone which changes at most once per day.)
>
> my error.  i was looking at a different soa.

Since we cannot prevent people from doing this thing (slaving of the
root zone) and since I believe that the root name servers do not use
these parameters among themselves, why not seriously raising "refresh"
and "retry" to limit the load?

43200 for "refresh" seems quite sufficient.