[dns-operations] IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header issues

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Apr 23 20:39:54 UTC 2007

On 23-Apr-2007, at 16:07, Nicolas FISCHBACH wrote:

> Very interesting presentation by Arnaud and Phil:
>
> http://www.secdev.org/conf/IPv6_RH_security-csw07.pdf
>
> If you only care about the DNS related bits, start on page 29.

The OpenBSD people have committed a patch to address (some of) this
stuff; see below. There's a corresponding FreeBSD commit here:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet6/
route6.c.diff?r1=1.12&r2=1.13

Jinmei and the KAME team also pointed out that RFC 4620 documents an
additional mechanism for finding out addresses of devices, in
addition to the "HOSTNAME.BIND CH TXT" approach on the slides: IPv6
node information queries with the "Node Addresses" qtype can reveal
additional interface addresses which can be incorporated into RH type
0 loops. RFC 4620 specifies that queries should not be processed if
they originate from a global address, but some implementations answer
such probes anyway.

On some (most? all?) BSD platforms the processing of node information
queries can be disabled using

   sysctl -w net.inet6.icmp6.nodeinfo=0

Note that I'm just passing on things that I have heard, and hence
deserve no credit for any of it. However, if I have misunderstood
anything and am propagating nonsense, that is all my own work :-)

Begin forwarded message: