[dns-operations] "Cybercrooks exploiting new Windows DNS flaw"

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Fri Apr 13 23:43:38 UTC 2007

Look, I am getting really sick of this point-by-point argument.  The
underlying statement I am have been trying to make here is this exploit will
not reach the epidemic size that things like Slammer and Code Red did.  Sure
there are servers that will get exploited and there will be viruses written,
but because of the added difficulty in this exploit (communicating over RPC)
and the lack of servers running Windows DNS (compared to Windows 2000
servers that installed IIS by default or the thousands of different apps
that installed MSDE) it will not be that widespread.  Of course it will
affect some people, I just don't see it making all that noticeable of an
impact on the world as other exploits have in the past.

This is my opinion, if you disagree that is your right.

Either way this debate is getting too heated and I don't see a compromise in
sight.  Feel free to poke holes in my theory, but in an effort to keep this
from dragging on, I will refrain from responding to future posts on this
topic.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz