[dns-operations] A Case Against DNSSEC (A Matasano Miniseries)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Apr 5 23:26:13 UTC 2007

* Roland Dobbins:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>>  It's flat-out illegal to mitigate
>> DDoS attacks against online casions in some countries.
>
> Which ones?

Germany, for instance.  Providing facilities for illegal gambling is
illegal as well.  If you do it commercially or as part of a gang,
there's a minimum three month prison sentence.

> It seems to me that the collateral damage of such an attack would be
> sufficient justification to mitigate, if that's the case.

I was thinking about proxies, local DNS resolvers and things like
that, which increase reachabilitiy of the target.

Adding null routes is certainly allowed, especially if you leave them
in place permanently. 8-P