[dns-operations] A Case Against DNSSEC (A Matasano Miniseries)

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Wed Apr 4 22:43:49 UTC 2007

Matt, and John,

I was very specific: I said:

> fewer than the equivalent of 30 servers.

The "going rate" of answers from an authoritative server (BIND/NSD/
Ultra/Nominum*) is 35,000 per second. Between them, that is 1,000,000
answers per second. Based on my 7 years of operation of significant
authoritative DNS service, 75% of the user base of the Internet
result in less than this number of queries per second for me.
Significantly lower. Say BT has n recursive servers. I answer the
query for foo.bar once every 24 hours for each. If n is 1,000 (note,
I have no idea, but it is surely smaller than this), that means that
for the 20m domains I am authoritative for, I will see at worst 20M *
1,000 queries per 24 hours, or 230,000 per second. In reality, from
experience with real networks that I cannot identify or provide
actual numbers for for NDA reasons, the qps number is 1/100th of the
calculated number.

Based on my calculations (as wild as anyone's in my position) 1
million a second would handle 75% of the worlds users handily.

To make the problem even smaller, (an order of magnitude or better) I
have implementations in place already utilizing forwarding recursive
servers based on the DNS Shield model that make scale *really*
reasonable and achievable, for 75% of the world. Assuming the
gatekeepers listened.

And as Paul pointed out, no-one can defend completely against an
intelligent DDoS. However, if 75% of the 'net is unaffected, the
goals of the DDFH crew are likely unrealized, and they move on. Whack
jobs notwithstanding.

*Nominum have different published numbers, but for simplicity I
include them as capable of at least 35,000 qps.  No need to follow
this rathole.