[dns-operations] A Case Against DNSSEC (A Matasano Miniseries)

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Apr 4 16:04:10 UTC 2007

At 10:45 -0400 4/4/07, Matt Larson wrote:

>We can all imagine a
>doomsday scenario that none of us can survive, but that doesn't excuse
>a responsible provider from provisioning the hell out their
>infrastructure to survive the survivable attacks.

Not everyone can afford to over provision, regardless of how
responsible they are.  There maybe limits to what's available to over
provision with.  Sometimes you have to get crafty.

What makes me say this is a presentation about complexity in protocol
design in which the presenter summed up the benefits of simplicity by
saying that "all you need is more bandwidth."  The presenter worked
for an ISP (selling bandwidth).

IP technologies work best when there is an abundance of bandwidth.
But bandwidth requires installation of stuff (fiber, towers) and
needs power for signal propagation and for server operation.  There's
a need to be more efficient (work accomplished per unit of energy) as
we near resource limits.