[dns-operations] "EarthLink Criticized for DNS Redirects"

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Fri Sep 15 01:19:15 UTC 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> http://www.betanews.com/article/
> EarthLink_Criticized_for_DNS_Redirects/1157575614

I think the issue there is more that Earthlink has deployed a totally
annoying system that's slow, has no way to opt-out (short of making
users change their DNS) and generally doesn't work.  Not even to
mention that it offers users no benefits.  Earthlink is using
barefruit.co.uk's solution which is just a cut up version of BIND
(last I poked).  I wonder if Earthlink plans to lower the cost of
Internet access based on the revenue they get.  Somehow I doubt it.

What's most surprising to me is that Earthlink of all ISPs is doing
this.  Maybe they are just trying to prove why users need network
neutrality (groan, I know).  What will the net neutrality fallout be
when a monopoly (ok, duopoly) like Verizon deploys this to their
customers?  Would that act alone be enough to make congress demand
net neutrality legislation?  Maybe.

Earthlink says << EarthLink's Dave Coustan said the company would
consider making changes, "if any alternatives become available." >>
I wonder if he reads dns-operations.  Someone here want to be my new
biz-dev person?

Happy almost Friday,
David Ulevitch