[dns-operations] operational impact of empty MNAME and RNAME?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Oct 3 11:52:32 UTC 2006

On 3-Oct-2006, at 05:04, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> Similarly, adding an additional stream of spam by putting real data
>> in the RNAME field seems to verge on the pointless.
>
> It is often the best way to find out a working contact. In my
> experience, it is better than the data distributed by whois.

I guess my question was more like "are there resolver implementations
which will break if I do this?" or perhaps "will the helpdesk phone
ring?"

The uses of [MR]NAME that you mention are certainly operational, but
fall more into the realm of troubleshooting than anything which might
cause a client to fail to resolve names, no?

Joe