[dns-operations] Description of the "Kashpureff-style DNS cache corruption attack"

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Nov 26 19:19:34 UTC 2006

* Peter Dambier:

> The real attack is a little bit more elaborated but the trick is:
>
> Ask for a domain where you control the nameservers and return
> glue records for a domain you are not really authoritative for.

I've figured out that much (and I've seen quite a few of the
"attacks", which looked more like a configuration shortcuts to me).

But I don't see how BIND 9 in forward-only mode would care about glue.
Even if the resolver has got a wrong view of who's authoritative for
what, it shouldn't matter because all queries are sent through the
forwarders.  And they should know what they are doing.