[dns-operations] Vista and the PNRP protocol

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Nov 9 09:52:28 UTC 2006

A few months ago, everyone claimed that Microsoft Windows Vista would
destroy the Internet with AAAA queries. Now, everyone praises PNRP
(Peer Name Resolution Protocol, a DHT-based name resolution
protocole), which seems to me to have more potential of generating
traffic.

An example of a (mostly marketing) paper:
http://apcmag.com/node/4332

The protocol does not seem specified in a public document (or is
it?). The closest thing to a technical description is:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/p2p/pnrp.mspx

It does not seem to be implemented anywhere else than in Vista and XP
(and it is patent-protected).

>From a "DNS operations" point of view, it seems that:

1) It is not DNS and it will not affect existing DNS servers (so
   readers are free to tell me that it is offtopic for this list),

2) It is quite chatty, even more than CoDNS (since the data is
   apparently always stored on the publishing host, even if it takes
   more messages to find it) and every unsuspecting Vista user will
   become a member of the DHT.