[dns-operations] Accurately identifying glue records

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue May 16 15:38:42 UTC 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 1:33 AM, Peter Koch wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:35:15PM +0200, Roy Arends wrote:
>
>> Does it judge the 'properness' of glue or the non-existence of it?
>> (not that it needs to, just curious).

> And that's the basic point: what's John trying to solve with this
> script?

Well, as it happens, he's trying to answer this question for me ...

A multinational customer has domains registered in all 260+ TLDs,
originally registered in the "old" days when nameserver host records
were created in TLDs to improve the speed of resolution (I know you
all remember those days ;-)), irrespective of bailiwick.

In order to change the IP addresses of the authoritative nameservers
as easily as possible, the customer has to identify which TLDs have
"out of bailiwick" nameservers configured. Those will be more
difficult to handle. If a TLD  does not have any "out of bailiwick"
nameservers configured, modifying the IP addresses of the nameservers
for domains in that TLD should be painless and relatively
instantaneous (with some overlap, of course).

The objective was to identify each of those situations for a group of
many thousands of domain names, with a mix of hostnames.