[dns-operations] CoDoNS and the future of Internet governance (Was: DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri May 12 09:03:55 UTC 2006

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> [I won't be in NANOG, which is purely North America so I discuss the
> case here.]
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:08:47PM -0700,
>  David Ulevitch <davidu at everydns.net> wrote
>  a message of 42 lines which said:
>

>>What I want to do is raise some discussion about how changing the
>>fundamental implementations of the DNS in such a revolutionary way
>>changes the entire structure, operation and politics of the DNS.
>>Where do groups like ICANN then fit in?  What about the root-servers
>>and the TLDs?
>

> May be I did not understood CoDoNS enough but I believe it only
> addresses the *resolution* of domain names, not their
> *allocation*. The domain names resolved by CoDoNS are still
> hierarchical and therefore, while root nameservers will be impacted,
> ICANN and TLD registries will not.

At first sight changeing from normal DNS to CoDoNS is like changing
from ICANN root to ORSN. There is no difference for the user.

The infrastructure, not visible to the user is different. The
infrastructure visible to an attacker is different. I guess you
cannot successfully attack both of them using the same strategy. So
one of them will always survive.

What happens to the root-servers? In the long run they will get
uprooted. mil (the nameservers, not the domain) will become an island
invisible to the outside. edu will change to CoDoNS. Many of the
others will stop service. New servers will come. I guess every
country will build its own root, so will do bigger companies and
other groups.

> [Compare with the telephone system, where there are no "root
> nameservers" - resolution of "TLDs" is distributed - but there is
> still a root, the ITU. Also, there are DNS registries which deal only
> with allocation but not with resolution, like Afilias for ".org".]
>
> [True, the CoDoNS paper claims that it will allow competitive
> operators for TLD but it seems mostly a marketing argument, no detail
> is given, and the difference between resolving names and allocating
> them is not drawn.]

CoDoNS is a question of who pays for it. Who pays for DNS today?

I see that question essential of all the alternative roots too.

I guess both Apple and Microsoft are working on some p2p thing
that people will have to pay for.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--