[dns-operations] DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Fri May 12 06:08:47 UTC 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 7:53 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> 2. CoDoNS and DHT round table / food fight (David Ulevich, EveryDNS)

Paul and I just talked briefly about this tonight and there is
nothing planned yet.  The gist is that there is a lot of research
being done in the "DHT based DNS" world and now the BBC has decided
to cover it as a story (we're all gonna get 0wn3d apparently).  As a
result I think it's worth having a brief discussion on some of the
issues people are raising and seeing what it is that people care
about.  This list raised most of the CoDoNS-specific questions after
the RIPE talk and already received well written answers from the
author of the paper so it won't be about CoDoNS in specific (or at
all really).

What I want to do is raise some discussion about how changing the
fundamental implementations of the DNS in such a revolutionary way
changes the entire structure, operation and politics of the DNS.
Where do groups like ICANN then fit in?  What about the root-servers
and the TLDs?  There is a lot to discuss and more questions than
answers.  While the CoDoNS emails a week or two back spawned most of
this discussion the focus will be more general about the impending
changes to the DNS and what they could mean.  I think a face to face
forum is best for this discussion.

Alternatively it might be better if I present a more technical talk
on the importance of a DNS cache that doesn't suck.  Big ISPs would
be wise to take notes and provide their users with a better Internet
experience as a result.  Based on the CoDoNS discussion on this list
a week or two ago, this is likely the better option.  Unlike Paul, I
don't want a food fight -- I do my own laundry and ketchup can be a
pain to remove. ;)

Best,
David Ulevitch