[dns-operations] does anybody know why yahoo+akamai are doing this?

Mark K. Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Mar 22 20:57:05 UTC 2006

Hi, folks.

As one of the DNS admins for Yahoo!, I'd like to make sure that we
aren't actually doing anything wrong.

I've read this thread, and from what I understand and from my
interpretation of RFC1034, our nameservers (which are fairly stock BTW)
handing out a referral to the root name servers along with a CNAME that
points out of our bailiwick is technically correct, though it does seem
a little weird.

It sounds like we could prevent this behavior by deleting our root.hints
file, and I'm also fairly sure that we don't actually (need* the
root.hints file on our authoritative servers because they're totally
non-recursive.

I suspect we could save a little bit of money in bandwidth costs by not
handing out the large referral section at the end of the response, so
that's another benefit.

Am I summing up the situation correctly?

Mark K. Pettit
DNS Administrator, Yahoo! Inc.