[dns-operations] Q: DNS server performance/conformance testing

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Mar 16 21:00:54 UTC 2006

> I looked at http://www.netperf.org/netperf/NetperfNew.html and was
> left somewhat dissapointed- is there a better place to get info?
>
> We're also looking for alternatives to queryperf for lots of various testing.
>
> matto
>
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> rick jones tells me that netperf4 has or will have dns load testing
>> functionality that's superior to that of bind9's queryperf tool.

Paul may have overstated things a bit, at present the DNS load testing
in netperf4 is very much like queryperf, but with the netperf4 harness
around it to coordinate multiple, parallel streams.  Netperf4 is still
on the steep part of the development curve, but I believe should be
stable enough for basic use.

As for http://www.netperf.org/netperf/NetperfNew.html I will be the
first to admit that my "maintenance" of the netperf website is pretty
weak :)

I've joind this mailing and wuld be willing to discuss netperf4 DNS
benchmarking here, or if folks prefer, there is a mailing list called
netperf-talk at netperf.org where one can discus the care and feeding of
all things netperf.  There is also netperf-dev at netperf.org for those who
think they will be contributing non-trivial changes to netperf4.

The source repository for netperf4 can be found at:

nttp://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf4

all the really interesting stuff happens on trunk/

happy benchmarking,

rick jones