[dns-operations] query dropping vs. returning nxdomain

brett watson brett at the-watsons.org
Wed Mar 15 20:54:34 UTC 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Jim Reid wrote:

> People often stumble on a stub resolver setup that
> works (sort of) despite it being sub optimal or completely wrong.
> This even happens in controlled networks.

indeed.  it might (or might not) shock some to know that many
enterprise dns clients (dmz hosts, firewalls, etc) i encountered in
the past 3 years used 4.2.2.1 as a default resolver!  to make matters
worse,  i discovered that previous consultants before me would tell
the customer that was the right thing to do (as in "that name server
is open to everyone, so use it").

-b