[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Fri Mar 3 03:45:09 UTC 2006

> this seems to be a nonsequitur.  only a direct neighbor (sharing a link)
can
> know whether BCP38 has been deployed (or rather, whether spoofing is
done.)

Yes, a direct neighbor, this is how many of the backbones have implimented
ping dampening. When small ISP's connect to a backbone, many times the
backbone will have ping dampening enabled on their connection on the
backbone's router.

> duane wessels to be unnecessary swill, for example.)  i consider the
clients
> who are endlessly repeating queries and ignoring NXDOMAIN to be the only
real
> reason why root and TLD servers need so much bandwidth today,

Unrelated question just for my own education, when you say ignoring
nxdomain, do you mean they don't cache an nxdomain response? Another
question, if a server does cache an nxdomain response, how does it know what
TTL to use?

Geo.