[dns-operations] SAC004 & BCP38 [was: DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc]

Barry Greene (bgreene) bgreene at cisco.com
Thu Mar 2 11:37:42 UTC 2006

Here are some facts:

-> In the US, of the top 10 us provider (using the Skitter metric), 1/2
are doing full BCP 38.

-> BCP 38 works with multihomed networks - including networks that are
using uRPF Strict Mode

-> Many broadband companies are slowly rolling out BCP38 with the
anti-MAC Spoofing AND recoloring the packets.

-> BCP 38 is not really controversial. It is a matter of how easy it can
be deployed in a network, what is the cost of that deployment, and how
much interest the operator has in tackling this one of their many
network issues.

-> There are many ways to achieve BCP 38. Off the top of my head, we
have the following:

	+ iACLs
	+ uRPF Strict Mode
	+ uRPF VRF Mode
	+ uRPF Feasible Path
	+ Radius ACLs
	+ IP Source Guard (Src IP and Src MAC check)
	+ DHCP Lease Query (Src IP and Src MAC check)

Do we have a lot of work to do in the BCP38 global deployment? Yes. Is
it really a accepted "BCP?" In the SP community, yes.