[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Mar 2 12:28:31 UTC 2006

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> someone else pointed out in this thread, blocking SMTP relays didn't
> work, and now we not only have a continued deluge of spam,

Without the 'culture shift' which led to open relays being closed (and,
in part, it is often considered perfectly ok to block open relays), we'd
have a situation where it was *even easier* to spam than it is today
(and much harder to identify and block spam.)

By the same logic (maybe?  I am undecided), closing down public
recursion, we make it harder for this attackers to amplify the impact of
these attacks, and reduce the number of places this attack will appear
to come from.

-a