[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Wed Mar 1 20:02:27 UTC 2006

So, we're back to the same problem we had with open relays.
"I can't or don't know how to close my open relay".  The
solution is to update the software or learn then.  Nobody
gets away with that excuse now for email, and no-one should
get away with it for dns either.

-ejay

Of Geo.
> Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:20 AM
> To: dns-operations at mail.oarc.isc.org
> Subject: Re: [dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc
>
> > If the ISP fixes their DNS servers to restrict the Ips
for
> > which they answer recursive queries, then those fixed
DNS
> > servers will ignore the spoofed request because the
spoofed
> > request appears to come from an IP that hey do not
serve.

> Not if they "fix" their dns servers with a firewall rule
> instead of a dns
> server option. Many dns servers do not have a setting to
> restrict recursive
> to local subnet only (windows 2000 or Posadis for
example).

> And then you have the folks who run behind NAT believing
they