[dns-operations] Shameless plug for our Zonecheck software (Was: af.mil DNS issue

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Fri Jun 30 21:20:03 UTC 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:30:32PM +0000,
>  Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote
>  a message of 13 lines which said:
>
>> what's a better one?
>
> My personal preference goes to Zonecheck
> (http://www.zonecheck.fr/). Disclaimer: it was written on my
> employer's premises. Disclaimer 2 : isc.org is refused because the
> expire is too long :-) But Zonecheck is configurable. The list of
> tests, as well as their severity, is in a configuration file, not in
> the program.

If ISC or someone else runs it, *please* consider the settings very
carefully.

Just trying a couple of domains:

- Not running accepting TCP queries is marked as an failure
- Having 2 (out of 8) nameservers using the same address is marked as
an error
- unable to find nameservers for bl.spamcop.net  (funny, I can just
fine)

Otherwise, it looks pretty cool