[dns-operations] Queries to a.root-servers.net from port 3072 ?

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Wed Jun 7 04:40:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Duane Wessels wrote:
> Don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious: are the queries
> coming from hosts that you'd expect to be using your caching server
> (i.e., your users and/or customers), or from unexpected/unwanted
> sources?

The sources are normal customer DSL/Dialup IPs who would be expected to be
using the name servers. I checked a couple and they didn't seem to be
doing many other DNS queries at the time so I suspect the machines are
unattended.

They seem to be real normal home customers online rather than spoofed.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.