[dns-operations] Handling broken domains...

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Jul 17 17:36:47 UTC 2006

I did it manually.

I learned the hard way, to slave whatever domain I can. There were
TLDs that somewhere CNAMEd and neither bind nor djbdns could resolve.
Interestingly enough, slaving the domain I could resolve its hosts.

Later said domain lost its nameservers. The SLDs still exist. I
turned my slave into a master and can still resolve them.

By the way - when you build your own database ( /etc/hosts :) and
can live from your own data mostly, then you no longer will be
found to be an open resolver  :)

Well, I dont know if I should tweak my DNS so very much if I had
public customers. But on the other hand it is a service you can
offer that the standard resolvers cannot.

I am looking for lame servers from time to time and if they tend
to anger me then I do write my own zone file. Again, I dont know
if I should do that with open costumers. On the other hand you
are giving a special treat to phishermen and friends. I guess we
might "patch" one and the same people.

I am running Bind 9.4.0.a6 and a patched dnscache + tinydns/axfrdns
side by side. tinydns is running as rootserver and again I do slave
all important zones. Interestingly enough I sometimes see djbdns resolve
things bind cannot, because tinydns still has them in the database.

I would like to know how your resolver is working. I am always
curious :)

I am running mine as journalist and archaeologist. I have to find
things that are either censored or forgotten - sometimes both of
them.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Peter and Karin Dambier