[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Sat Jul 15 21:12:32 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:49 PM +0200 2006-07-14, Per Heldal wrote:
>
>>       From your angle, given the use of minimum 2 independent
>> providers
>>  to host every zone, what do I loose if all listed nameserver (ns
>> >= 2)
>>  use anycast?
>
> I've already said what I'm going to say on this thread.  If I haven't
> made my point clear to you by now, I don't think that there's any
> hope of being able to do so in the immediate future.

s/made my point clear to you/absorbed clue

> Clearly, I need to learn more about routing terminology before
> attempting any further discussion of these topics.

And about routing. And anycast. And real-world operation of large DNS
infrastructure. And to speak from *personal* experience.

You spout statements regarding "sufficient" or "adequate" numbers of
resolvers, service addresses, etc. as if you actually know. So let's
cut to the chase: How many service addresses are sufficient? Provide
the methodology and research to back it up. And "It depends" doesn't
cut it. You're making statements based on real word implementations
without any qualification.