[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Fri Jul 14 19:49:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:27:30 -0500, "Brad Knowles"
<brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> said:
> At 2:47 PM +0200 2006-07-14, Per Heldal wrote:
>
> >  So, unicast sites never go pear-shaped? That's new to me ;)
>
> No, I'm sure they go pear-shaped all the time.  The point is that you
> are preventing the possibility of having all advertised routes
> collapse onto a single pod, and therefore if that single pod were to
> go down, you'd still have some other routes advertised to other
> (unicast-only) sites.
>
> In other words, cut across first, then down.

One point in my reasoning wasn't too clear. I didn't say that using
anycast completely eliminates the need for multiple nameservers. Being
old-school I'd never trust a single provider to handle critical zone
data. From your angle, given the use of minimum 2 independent providers
to host every zone, what do I loose if all listed nameserver (ns >= 2)
use anycast?

//per
--
  Per Heldal