[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Fri Jul 14 14:56:36 UTC 2006

On 14-Jul-2006, at 06:19 , Brad Knowles wrote:

> This is the key point I'm trying to get across -- IMO, deploying only
> anycast addresses for a given service is unwise, as it leads to the
> risk where all the packets being sent to those addresses wind up at a
> site that may be topologically closer but may also be broken.

You seem to be assuming that all nodes in an anycast environment
answer to all anycasted addresses.  As far as I'm aware, this is only
true for the anycasted root servers (where there is only one address
per managing org).  For all other anycasted zones, putting all
addresses on all nodes correlates to having multiple addresses on a
single server in a unicast environment, and would be just as unwise.

Perhaps this was the case for some Ultra nodes in the past.. I don't
know.  But, if that was the case, it was a problem with
implementation and not with anycast itself.

Matt