[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Jul 14 13:32:53 UTC 2006

At 5:19 AM -0500 7/14/06, Brad Knowles wrote:

>This is the key point I'm trying to get across -- IMO, deploying only
>anycast addresses for a given service is unwise, as it leads to the
>risk where all the packets being sent to those addresses wind up at a
>site that may be topologically closer but may also be broken.

By the same logic, anyone running a web site ought to maintain a
gopher server too, in case there's a systemic problem in HTTP. ;)

While in transition from one way of performing a service to another,
it is wise to mix the new in with the old while there is certain
level of risk that the new way will fail (meaning, cause the service
to violate the service level agreement).  But there's a point in
which the new way matures and obsoletes the need for the old way.

Anycast has proven itself for quite some time now.  The technology is
well understood now and experience is increasing.  I think a
requirement or even a recommendation to mix anycast and unicast "in
case anycast fails" is outdated.

NeuStar

Soccer/Futbol. IPv6.  Both have lots of 1's and 0's and have a hard time
catching on in North America.