[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jul 14 10:30:05 UTC 2006

At 1:34 AM -0400 2006-07-14, John Payne wrote:

>  I don't pretend to read minds.  However, unicast does not restrict
>  the number of machines behind a single IP either.

At the level of an individual site, no -- you can put as many
machines as you want behind those L4 load-balancing switches, well at
least up to the number that your switches can support.  And you can
have a large number of L4 load-balancing switches that all serve the
same service IP address, using internal routing tricks with OSPF and
ARP.

But without anycast, my understanding is that there is no way to
share a given service IP address across multiple separate and
distinct sites, each with their own upstream service providers or
routing partners, etc....

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.