[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Fri Jul 14 05:11:14 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:

>> Could you explain how anycast vs anycast/unicast combo vs. unicast
>> only differ in their effects when clusters break? Could you also
>> explain what you mean by a broken cluster?
>
> Maybe I can.  As far as I was able to see how ultradns servers work
> all
> tld{1..6} are served by same "cluster", to see what I mean try:
>
> dig a whoareyou.ultradns.net @...
>
> for _all_ of UltraDNS nameservers.

I did.  I got 4 different answers in 2 different /24s.

I also tracerouted.  Of the 6 IPs, I see 3 of them over the equinix
ashburn nap, two over xo and one over verio

Then I tried from London.  4 answers, 2 different /24s (but
different /24s to my queries from BOS)

This time I got 3 over Verio/NTT somewhere in London.  3 to XO.

Then I tried from Tokyo.  4 answers, 2 different /24s (but different /
24s to London or Boston).

Then I got bored.   I never saw the same /24 from all 6 tlds.