[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Nicholas Suan nsuan at nonexiste.net
Fri Jul 14 04:43:12 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, brett watson <brett at the-watsons.org> wrote:

> > Assuming that the resolver was coded in a sane fashion, another root
> > server; they should all contain the same data.
>
> but in a properly configured anycast environment (f-root, k-root, and
> ultra come to mind), there's no need to go to "another root server"
> because another instance of the anycast prefix would be followed to
> the next closest instance of that same root server.

That's what was supposed to happen, however in the spefic case we're
talking about, it didn't. That's not an anycast-only problem, anycast
only really made it harder to debug. The DNS resolver doesn't know
which servers are anycased and which aren't so there's no way for it
to behave any differently when a request to an anycasted server fails
as opposed to a request to a regular one.