[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Jul 12 17:23:33 UTC 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> ...  In fact, I can't imagine a reason why you wouldn't use
>> OpenDNS.  ...
>
> i'll provide four, off the top of my head.
>
> 1. because i use the for things other than web surfing.
> 2. because i need a reliable source of NXDOMAIN data.
> 3. because i want to keep DNS open to non-web applications.

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback (as always) and kind comments at the bottom.

I want to point out what we're releasing today in a test form for
greater things to come:

http://www.opendns.com/prefs/

I hope this takes care of issues #1, #2, and #3.  This should also
make clear that a Site Finder comparison is inappropriate.

> 4. because i don't want any central authority to see what Q's i'm
> asking.

Did you mention that to ATT and the NSA?  Drop your peering sessions
with them? ;-)

We have a privacy policy here and I took my time in going over it and
editing it.  I also want to make it explicit what we do store and for
how long so you know what we have on file if the DHS comes knocking.

I truly appreciate the discussion here, hopefully those who know me
know this is going to be done right and those who don't will figure
out I do things right.  To those of you who have sent me notes and
bugs and ideas off-list, thanks so much.  We've fixed a bunch and are
working on the rest we know about.

Back to our regularly scheduled DNSSEC threads... ;-)

Thanks,
David Ulevitch