[dns-operations] Too Open (Was: OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 12 06:52:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 09:53:15AM -0700,
 David Ulevitch <davidu at everydns.net> wrote
 a message of 83 lines which said:

> In fact, I can't imagine a reason why you wouldn't use OpenDNS.

1) Because it is awfully slow (160 msec, for data in the cache),

2) Because it decreases reliability (if I use OpenDNS and the transit
links of my provider, Renater, goes down, I cannot even resolve ".fr"
domains),

3) Because it is broken (see the "NXDOMAIN with some types but not
with others" bug),

4) Because security issues are "addressed" by vague claims.

There are other reasons but they were well explained by Paul Vixie.