[dns-operations] What is the most pressing need for DNS these days?

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Mon Jul 10 17:44:05 UTC 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:05 AM, John S. Quarterman wrote:

> Brad asked a question:
>
>>>        How many board members would we have to replace before the
>>> guys who really run the show execute their next coup?
>
> Well, if you look at some of the recent ICANN board votes, they were
> pretty close; close enough that 2 or 3 votes would have changed the
> outcome.
>
>>> 	I want to help, I really do.  I just question the wisdom of
>>> continuing to throw good money after bad, especially when we've been
>>> shown just how bad it really is.
>>
>> So stand for the Board Brad. Put your money where your mouth is
>> (figuratively speaking).
>
> Not a bad idea.
>
> And how about you, Jim?

And you, John? ;-)

Remember that the process includes more than just the ICANN Board.
There are a number of Supporting Organization positions being filled
at the same time, and SO's have an enormous amount of influence on
the outcome of Board decisions. Specifically:

The Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council
The Interim At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)
The Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) Council

Note that the deadline has just been extended until August 1, 2006.

Disclaimer: I am on the ICANN Nominating Committee, but this nudge to
submit Statements of Interest implies no opinion regarding the
suitability of any candidate, it is merely(!) a push to get as many
good and well-qualified candidates as possible involved in the
process. As Jim said (figuratively ;-)), put your money where your
mouth is.

http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/formal-call-2006.html

PS: As a second term member of the NOM-COMM I take exception (and get
pretty pissed) when I see statements like "this process is so totally
rigged" with no facts to back them up. I take those attacks
personally. Of course I can only speak for the 2005 and 2006 Committees.