[dns-operations] OpenDNS makes your Internet work better

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jul 10 14:30:12 UTC 2006

[I believe it has an operational content. This is just information,
not an endorsment.]

A system to "fix" domain names. You use OpenDNS resolvers (which are
open resolvers) and they send back the IP of their search engine when
the name servers return NXDOMAIN.

http://www.opendns.com/

Why is OpenDNS safer than what I'm using now for DNS?

OpenDNS intercepts phishing attempts. OpenDNS customers will be warned
if they attempt to visit a phishing site.

Why is OpenDNS faster than other DNS services?

Two things make OpenDNS faster than similar services. First, OpenDNS
runs a really big, smart cache, so every OpenDNS user benefits from
the activities of the broader OpenDNS user base. Second, OpenDNS runs
a high-performance network which is geographically distributed (see
network map) and serviced by several redundant connections. OpenDNS
responds to your query from the nearest location. That means we're
very fast (and extremely reliable, to boot).

Why is OpenDNS smarter?

We fix typos in the URLs you enter whenever we can. For example, if
you're using OpenDNS craigslist.og will lead directly to
craigslist.org.

If we're not sure what to do with an error, we provide search results
for you to choose from.

Does using OpenDNS cost me money?
No. OpenDNS is free to use.

How does OpenDNS make money?

OpenDNS makes money by offering clearly labeled advertisements
alongside search results on error pages. OpenDNS will provide
additional services on top of its enhanced DNS service.