[dns-operations] ICANN and DNS

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Jul 7 17:17:52 UTC 2006

Seeing that there's a latent ICANN - DNS thread here and not wanting
to muddy up that...

Is there any feeling that ICANN, by fostering a commercial
environment over the operation of DNS, has caused a slowdown in
technical innovation or even operations innovation?

I ask this because I see fewer and fewer new DNS topics being raised
in technical fora.  I have speculated that this might be because once
investment rolls in, it's best if the underlying technology be stable
even if it is suboptimal.

Other reasons could be that we've saturated DNS as it stands with
respect to technical features.  Further enhancements might only be a
sign of us making for ourselves.

If ICANN is stablizing, or stagnating (depending on your point of
view), DNS, is there any way to copy what happens in the automotive
industry?  Innovation happens there despite or because of regulation,
insurance, legal, and pure market-driven competition.   Should that
be copied into DNS, or into the Internet in general?

NeuStar

Soccer/Futbol. IPv6.  Both have lots of 1's and 0's and have a hard time
catching on in North America.

That tournament in Germany.  What's all the fuss?  (Get it? "fuss?")