[dns-operations] Shameless plug for our Zonecheck software (Was: af.mil DNS issue

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jul 3 19:58:48 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 08:38:11PM -0700,
 John Payne <john at sackheads.org> wrote
 a message of 52 lines which said:

> TTBOMK $employer has never supported 53/tcp and as nobody has
> complained about it,

<old_timer> I'm very skeptical about such claims. We all know (or
should know) that many people never complain or, more exactly, never
complain to *you* - but do report the hassles to their colleagues,
friends, etc. The fact that they never filled in the Web form "Report
a problem" is no proof to me.  </old_timer>

<Unix_dinosaur> Most people are not able to diagnose "random" DNS
problems and to identify the lack of TCP as the root of the
problem. <Unix_dinosaur>

> Every once in a blue moon we get a "why can't we transfer our .fr
> zone to your servers?" but that's about it.

So, nobody complains but sometimes someone complains?

We sometimes (I did not check the moon at these times) have "dialogues
of the deafs" problems with customers who use a DNS hoster.

AFNIC: you should enable TCP/53
Customer: my DNS provider does not want to
AFNIC: you're his customer, ask him
Customer: he does not want, he says DNS work without TCP/53
AFNIC: can we get in touch directly with them to explain?
Customer: do you speak english? Because I don't and I don't understand them