[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Andrew Sullivan andrew at ca.afilias.info
Tue Feb 28 13:43:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:10:19AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> win, actually a double win, in information warfare terms.  we gave ourselves
> a better way to filter signal from noise, and we made the bad guys work
> harder.

Well, yes and no.  The bad guys do have to work harder, but they also
take over a lot of bystanders' boxes, and thereby create a new,
large, and difficult-to-fix problem.  That the bystanders probably
should be doing things differently is relevant only in that, since
they don't, we know we can't rely on others doing the right thing to
protect us.

> (is this even on-topic?)

Only by way of analogy.  One of the things in my "con" column for the
shunning approach is that I haven't been able to convince myself that
people couldn't adopt work-arounds that would actually be worse in
the aggregate than what we have.

----
<andrew at ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110