[dns-operations] DNS deluge for x.p.ctrc.cc

Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Mon Feb 27 19:04:31 UTC 2006

Hi, team.

] As it turns out, in my recent experience, the largest offenders are
] actually the largest hosting companies, inadvertently. Apparently
] CPanel and Plesk, which are core to the virtual server world, is
] shipped preconfigured with open recursive servers.

Agreed, and a fair bit of CPE gear performs a similar function.
The vendors in question have been pretty darn quick to issue
patches or workarounds.

] One of the largest who I ended up visiting with was incredibly
] thankful for the data I provided...

We've received the same happy response.  Quite a few folks who
were abused as amplifiers erroneously believed that they were
the intended target.  They're all victims, of course.

Folks have welcomed the reports, which is why I think a feed and
a web page of helpful advice could be very useful in this case.

Thanks,
Rob.
--
Rob Thomas