[dns-operations] can you suggest dns test/log tool

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Aug 10 19:14:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> I'm curious if people here can suggest a tool that can act as dns server
>> and will just log all dns requests printing nice log that includes what
>> name, type, class AND FLAGS were in the request (and timestamp of course).
>> This tool would be expected to never give any answer back, i.e. its not
>> real dns server.
>
> tcpdump?

I'm using tethereal right now, it provides some info but not dns query
flags. So what I need would have to be protocol-aware and also I need
it to support both UDP and TCP.

Potentially I could write this using dns perl module, I'm just surprised
if it does not exist already.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks