[dns-operations] ``Ya.com says "The internet is mine" ''

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Aug 8 23:21:14 UTC 2006

Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 11:17 PM +0200 8/8/06, Peter Dambier wrote:
>

>>ISPs that offer their own filtered version of DNS to their subscribers
>>are evil.
>

> Why?  Why is that not a legit business model?  Along the lines of
> some people are willing to watch TV-censored movies.
>

>>There are applications arround that will break when they cannot find an
>>unpopulated space in DNS. They dont look in ".local" they try COM/NET/ORG
>>for whatever funny reason.
>

> I understand this.  But that doesn't make the ISP evil in as much as
> it doesn't make the application evil.

When it happened to me I thought Microsoft and Apple were evil :)

A agree, it is the application that is evil and it is the poor
costumer who suffers.

> The point I'm arguing is that the subject is once again "making a
> mole hill out of a mountain."  Maybe ya.com's practices will go the
> way of other failed business models as customers try it and walk
> away.  That makes it unprofitable, not evil and not the end of the
> world.

Try to face it from the view of an ant. For an unknowing user it
is a mountain. Seen from above it is a mole hill.

The mole is beaten to death. No more hills.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier