[dns-operations] [dns-wg] "DNS Vulnerabilities" paper hits the mainstream

Jim Reid Jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Apr 30 19:02:45 UTC 2006

On Apr 30, 2006, at 19:25, Sander Steffann wrote:
> Maybe someone 'official' should contact the BBC and try to cool
> this down a bit.

FWIW I have contacted the BBC asking them to present a more balanced
report. I doubt anything will come of that. Even if the BBC does
publish a correction it will be an uphill battle to explain the
details of how DNS actually works to a puzzled BBC journalist with a
deadline to meet. Niall O'Reilly said he posted something through the
"have your say" feature of the BBC web site. Perhaps if others on
this list did likewise....

> People might get scared :)  It is good that attention is given to
> the risks of badly secured DNS servers, but scaring the public like
> this...

Indeed. Though personally speaking, I don't accept Sirer's
methodolody let alone his concluions about "vulnerabilities" or badly
secured name servers. Which doesn't for a moment mean the DNS has no
vulnerablities or badly secured servers. These do of course exist.
Just not in the way Emil Gun Sirer has suggested.