[dns-operations] RIPE-52 preso on DNS issues, author comments on Slashdot.

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Apr 27 21:32:16 UTC 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Rodney Joffe wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>>

>> http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=184122&cid=15204785
>>

> So does anyone have any feelings/thoughts, etc about CoDoNS?
>
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/beehive/codons.php

I met with and talked with the authors of the paper last November.
They are smart guys for sure but I'm not positive the understanding
of the DNS as a structure is there.  DNS is more than just packets,
it's a system and hierarchy that serves far more purpose now than
just mapping names to numbers.  That's been lost in their research.

DHTs are very trendy right now and a natural fit seemed to be taking
over the DNS with a DHT and crypto-key system.  Realistically it
destroys everything that makes the DNS stable and articulate.

As for the paper -- They don't spend time talking about the fact that
the roots carry glue for NS delegations which makes the chain of
authority far shorter than they claim.

But some good might come out of it and it's good to shed light and
research on these issues.

FWIW, I offered a job to the author of CoDoNs but he accepted a
position at Microsoft research to work in other areas outside the
scope of DNS.

-david