[dns-operations] RIPE-52 preso on DNS issues, author comments on Slashdot. author comments on Slashdot. author comments on Slashdot.

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Wed Apr 26 22:34:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Sam Norris said:

> Great, so a CoDoNS farm could be used to ddos 'legacy' dns servers because
> most of our records are 30 seconds ttl?  Someone generating a ton of queries
> to the beehive could let it take care of querying us for the rest of its
> life?  That's bad.

I haven't fully investigated how persistent they are with refreshing.
I do know that in my case the repeated queries for a given name
eventually stop, either because they have some limits built in, or
because my fake DNS server returns a response that tells them the
name is no longer valid.

Duane W.