[dns-operations] RIPE-52 preso on DNS issues, author comments on Slashdot.

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Wed Apr 26 19:40:35 UTC 2006

> So does anyone have any feelings/thoughts, etc about CoDoNS?

Unfortunatley I don't have anything of substance to say on its
architecture.  But I did notice something interesting about the
CoDoNS server:  It automatically refreshes expired cache entries.

So say, for example, you have a lot of names in your zone with very
short TTLs, and you manage to get those names into CoDoNS caches.
You'll get repeated queries when the TTL expires, even if no users
request them.

In my case I'm sending probes to test for open resolvers.  Each
probe has a unique name (e.g. 21d76597bde465c1.test.$myzone)
and a 60-second TTL.  I'm seeing a lot of repeats from places
that fpdns calls Beehive CoDoNS.

Duane W.