[dns-operations] A record round-robin behavior

Olaf M. Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Apr 21 08:38:51 UTC 2006

> Since the standard doesn't say anything about
> order, the implementors first decided to use a deterministic
> algorithm and then later decided that a (pseudo) random algorithm was
> better.

Note also that, since the standard doesn't say anything about order,
there are implementations (such as NSD) that do not do any round
robin at all.

I am not saying that randomizing data is a bad thing I am saying that
client should not count on an RR set being randomly shuffled.

--Olaf

Olaf M. Kolkman
NLnet Labs
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/