[dns-operations] NXDOMAIN vs NODATA for suffixes of existing name

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Sat Apr 15 13:51:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 02:27:09PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Apparently, the issue boils down to the question whether the label "b"
> exists under example.net. if there are are records for
> a.b.example.net.  I think it does (and BIND 9 happens to agree with
> me, although this behavior changed in the past IIRC), but I can't find

some earlier BIND9 (< 9.3) versions had a bug and did not deal well with
empty non terminals. Another reference that (the) Ed(itor) was too shy to
mention is draft-ietf-dnsext-wcard-clarify (in RFC Editor queue),
esp. section 2.2.2.

-Peter