[dns-operations] does anybody know why yahoo+akamai are doing this?

Robert Martin-Legene rlegene at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 02:00:58 UTC 2006

On 23/03/06, Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote:
> # Do you think the protocol ought to define a return code that indicates that
> # the server has no means to answer the query?
>
> as a maintainance and diagnostic convenience, yes.  but operationally
> speaking, REFUSED or "just drop the query" is adequate to keep everything
> running.  (it only affects behaviour that's already not going to succeed.)

Just to be sure, because I believed it was so... doesn't a
dropped answer (timeout) from a name server give it a
worse rating in the client's list of NS' for a zone? I.e. it will
be less likely to be queried before any of the other NS' for
that same zone by same client (running BIND).

In the case of DoS as discussed, I see if this doesnt really
matter. I'm just trying to know how BIND works (without reading
the source).

Have a nice Easter everyone.

-- Robert Martin-Legene, .dk